Women on California's Death Row

Women on California's Death Row

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Many of the high-profile murders that make up salacious fodder for our voracious 24/7 media cycle are committed by men-but that doesn't mean women don't commit their fair share of heinous crimes as well. The women profiled here are some of the California penitentiary system's most notorious death row inmates, all convicted and sentenced to be executed for their despicable deeds.​

01of 20

Maria del Rosio Alfaro

Mug Shot / Public Domain

María del Rosio Alfaro was an 18-year-old addict when in June 1990, she entered the home of a friend with the intention of robbing it to get money to support her drug habit. The only person home was her friend's sister, 9-year-old Autumn Wallace.

Wallace recognized Alfaro and allowed her inside the family's Anaheim home when Alfaro asked to use the bathroom. Once inside, Alfaro stabbed the girl more than 50 times and left her to die on the bathroom floor. She then went around grabbing anything that she could swap or sell for drugs.

Fingerprint evidence led investigators to Alfaro. She eventually confessed to murdering Autumn Wallace, saying that she'd done it because she knew the child had recognized her as her sister's friend.

Initially insisting that she'd carried out the murder by herself, Alfaro changed her story during her trial and pointed the finger at an accomplice named Beto. It took two juries to decide on a sentence. The first jury wanted to know more about Beto's identity before reaching a verdict. The second jury didn't buy the Beto story at all and sentenced Alfaro to death.

02of 20

Dora Buenrostro

Mug Shot / Public Domain

Dora Buenrostro, from San Jacinto, California, was 34 years old when she murdered her three children in an attempt to get even with her ex-husband.

On October 25, 1994, Buenrostro stabbed her 4-year-old daughter Deidra to death with a knife and a ballpoint pen as they were in a car traveling to her ex-husband's home. Two days later, she murdered her two other children, Susana, 9, and Vicente, 8, by plunging a knife into their necks as they slept.

She then tried to frame her ex-husband by telling the police that Deidra had been with him the week she was murdered and that her ex-husband had come to her apartment with a knife on the night the two other children were killed. She told police the children were asleep, and fearing for her life, she fled the apartment.

Deidra's body was later found at an abandoned post office. A portion of the knife blade was still in her neck, and she was strapped into her car seat. Buenrostro was found guilty after 90 minutes of deliberation. She was sentenced to death on October 2, 1998.

03of 20

Socorro 'Cora' Caro

Mug Shot / Public Domain

Socorro "Cora" Caro was sentenced to death in Ventura County, California on April 5, 2002, for the shooting deaths of her three sons, Xavier Jr., 11; Michael, 8; and Christopher, 5. The boys were shot in the head at close range while they slept. Caro then shot herself in the head in an attempted suicide. A fourth infant son was unharmed.

According to prosecutors, Socorro Caro methodically planned and executed the boys as an act of revenge against her husband, Dr. Xavier Caro, whom she blamed for their failing marriage.

Dr. Xavier Caro and several other witnesses testified that prior to the November 2, 1999 murders of the boys, Socorro Caro had inflicted several injuries to her husband on eight occasions, including seriously injuring his eye.

Describing himself as a victim of domestic violence, Dr.Caro testified that on the night of the murders, the couple argued over how to discipline one of the boys. He then left to work for a few hours at his clinic. When he returned home at around 11 p.m., he found his wife and the bodies of the children.

Court testimony showed that the Caros' marriage began falling apart after Socorro became the office manager at her husband's medical clinic and secretly took money from the clinic and gave it to her aging parents.

The jury deliberated five days before returning the guilty verdict and recommending the death penalty.

04of 20

Celeste Carrington

Mug Shot / Public Domain

Celeste Carrington was 32 years old when she was sent to California's death row for the execution-style murders of a man and a woman during two separate burglaries, and the attempted murder of a third victim during another burglary.

In 1992, Carrington had been employed as a janitor for several companies prior to being fired for theft. After leaving her position, she failed to return several keys to the companies where she'd worked. On January 17, 1992, Carrington broke into one of the companies-a car dealership-and stole (among other items) a .357 Magnum revolver and some bullets.

On January 26, 1992, using a key, she broke into another company, and armed with the gun she'd previously stolen, she encountered Victor Esparza who was working as a janitor. After a brief exchange, Carrington robbed and shot Esparza, who died of his wounds. Carrington later told investigators that she had intended to kill Esparza and felt powerful and excited by the experience.

On March 11, 1992, Carrington entered yet another company where she'd previously worked as a janitor, again using a key. Armed with the revolver, she shot and killed Caroline Gleason-who was on her knees, begging Carrington to put away the gun. Carrington proceded to steal around $700 and Gleason's car.

On March 16, 1992, again using a key from her former janitorial job, Carrington broke into a doctor's office. During the robbery, she encountered Dr. Allan Marks. She shot Dr. Marks three times before fleeing the building. Marks survived and later testified against Carrington.

05of 20

Cynthia Lynn Coffman

Mug Shot / Public Domain

Cynthia Lynn Coffman was only 23 when she was sentenced to death for the 1986 kidnapping, sodomy, robbery, and murder of 20-year-old Corinna Novis in San Bernardino County and for the death of 19-year-old Lynel Murray in Orange County.

Coffman and her husband, James Gregory "Folsom Wolf" Marlow were both convicted and sentenced to death for the murders that occurred during a crime spree from October through November 1986.

Coffman later claimed that she was a victim of abuse and that Marlow brainwashed, beat, and starved her in order to get her to participate in the crimes. She was the first women to receive a death sentence in California since the state reinstated the death penalty in 1977.

06of 20

Kerry Lyn Dalton

Mug Shot / Public Domain

On June 26, 1988, Kerry Lyn Dalton's ex-roommate, Irene Melanie May, was tortured and murdered by Dalton and two accomplices in retribution for the alleged theft by May of some items belonging to Dalton.

After May was tied to a chair, Dalton injected her with a syringe of battery acid. Co-defendant Sheryl Baker battered May with a cast iron frying pan, and then Baker and co-defendant, Mark Tompkins, stabbed May to death. Later, Tompkins and a fourth individual, who was only identified as "George," cut up and disposed of May's body, which was never found.

On November 13, 1992, Dalton, Tompkins, and Baker were charged with conspiracy to commit murder. Baker pled guilty to second-degree murder. Tompkins pled guilty to first-degree murder. At Dalton's trial, which began in early 1995, Baker served as a witness for the prosecution. Tompkins did not testify at trial but the prosecution presented statements by him from the testimony of one of his cellmates.

On February 24, 1995, the jury found Dalton guilty of conspiracy to commit murder. She received a sentence of death on May 23, 1995.

07of 20

Susan Eubanks

Mug Shot / Public Domain

On October 26, 1997, Susan Eubanks and her live-in boyfriend Rene Dodson were drinking and watching a Chargers game at a local bar when they began to argue. When they returned home, Dodson told Eubanks he was ending the relationship and tried to leave, but Eubanks took his car keys and slashed his tires.

Dodson contacted the police and asked if they would accompany him to the house so that he could retrieve his belongings. After Dodson and the police left, Eubanks wrote five suicide letters: one to Dodson, one to her estranged husband, Eric Eubanks, and the rest to family members. Afterward, Eubanks shot her four sons, ages 4 to 14, and then shot herself in the stomach.

Earlier in the day, Dodson warned Eric Eubanks that Susan had threatened to kill the boys. Later when he received a text from Susan with the words, "Say goodbye," he contacted the police and asked them to perform a welfare check.

The police went to Eubanks' home and heard sobbing coming from inside. Inside, they found Eubanks with gunshot wounds to her stomach along with four of her sons who had had all been shot. One of the boys was still alive but later died at the hospital. A fifth boy, Eubanks' 5-year-old nephew, was unharmed.

Prosecutors claim that Eubanks murdered the boys out of rage but part of the crime was premeditated. It was determined that Eubanks shot the boys in the head multiple times and had to reload the gun to finish the job.

After two hours of deliberation, a jury found Eubanks guilty. She was sentenced to death in San Marcos, California, on October 13, 1999.

08of 20

Veronica Gonzales

Mug Shot / Public Domain

When Genny Rojas was 4 years old her mother went into drug rehab. Her father was already in prison, having been convicted for child molestation. Genny was sent to live with her aunt and uncle, Ivan and Veronica Gonzales, and their six children.

Six months later, Genny was dead.

According to court testimony, Genny was tortured by the methamphetamine-addicted Gonzales couple for months. She was beaten, hung on a hook inside a closet, starved, imprisoned inside a box, forced into hot baths, and burned multiple times with a hairdryer.

On July 21, 1995, Genny died after being forced into a tub of water that was so hot that her skin was burned off in several areas of her body. According to autopsy reports, it took up to two hours for the child to slowly die.

Ivan and Veronica Gonzales were found guilty of torture and murder. Both got the death sentence, making them the first couple in the history of California to receive the dubious distinction.

09of 20

Maureen McDermott

Mug Shot / Public Domain

Maureen McDermott was convicted of ordering the 1985 murder of Stephen Eldridge for financial gain. The two co-owned a Van Nuys home and McDermott held a $100,000 life insurance policy on Eldridge.

According to court transcripts, in early 1985, McDermott's relationship with Eldridge deteriorated. Eldridge complained about the unkempt condition of the house and about McDermott's pets. McDermott was upset about Eldridge's treatment of her pets and his plans to sell his interest in the house.

In late February 1985, McDermott asked Jimmy Luna, a co-worker and personal friend, to kill Eldridge in exchange for $50,000. McDermott told Luna to carve the word "gay" on the body with a knife or cut off Eldridge's penis so that it would look like a "homosexual" murder and police would take less of an interest in solving the case.

In March 1985, Luna and accomplice Marvin Lee went to Eldridge's home and attacked him when he answered the door. Luna hit him with a bedpost but failed to kill him. They fled the scene after Eldridge managed to escape.

Over the next few weeks, McDermott and Luna exchanged several phone calls. On April 28, 1985, Luna, Lee, and Lee's brother, Dondell returned to Eldridge's home, gaining entry through a front bedroom window that had been left open for them by McDermott. When Eldridge returned home later that evening, Luna stabbed him 44 times, killing him, and then, following McDermott's orders, he cut off the victim's penis.

On July 2, 1985, Luna was arrested for the first-degree murder of Eldridge. In August 1985, McDermott was also arrested. She was charged with attempted murder (for the first attempt) as well as murder for the actual killing. She was also charged under special circumstance allegations with murder for financial gain and lying in wait.

Marvin and Dondell Lee were granted immunity for the murder of Eldridge in exchange for their confessions and truthful testimony. Luna also entered into a plea agreement under which he pled guilty to first-degree murder and agreed to testify truthfully in the prosecution against McDermott.

A jury convicted Maureen McDermott of one count of murder and one count of attempted murder. The jury found the special circumstance allegations-that the murder was carried out for financial gain and by means of lying in wait-to be true. McDermott was sentenced to death.

10of 20

Valerie Martin

Mug Shot / Public Domain

In February of 2003, William Whiteside, 61, was living in his mobile home with Valerie Martin, 36. Whiteside and Martin met each other at their place of employment, the Antelope Valley Hospital. Also living in the mobile home were Martin's son, 17-year-old Ronald Ray Kupsch III, Kupsch's pregnant girlfriend, Jessica Buchanan, and Kupsch's friend, 28-year-old ex-con Christopher Lee Kennedy.

On February 27, 2003, Martin, Kupsch, Buchanan, Kennedy, and their friend Bradley Zoda were at Whiteside's trailer when Martin mentioned that she owed a drug dealer $300. After discussing ways to get the money, the group decided they would steal it from Whiteside by mugging him in the parking lot when he left work that night.

Around 9 p.m., Martin drove Kennedy, Zoda, and Kupsch to the hospital but called off the plan as too risky due to possible witnesses. Martin came up with another idea. After dropping the others off at a friend's house, she called Whiteside and asked him to pick them up on his way home from work.

When Whiteside arrived, Kupsch, Kennedy, and Zoda-who were all high on methamphetamine-got into his car and immediately attacked him, beating him until he was unconscious. They shoved Whiteside into the trunk of the car and drove around, looking for a good place to stop. During the drive, Whiteside tried to escape from the trunk twice but was beaten back both times.

Once parked, Kupsch called Martin, told her where they were, and asked her to bring gasoline. When she arrived with the gasoline, Kennedy took it and poured it all over the car. Kupsch lit it on fire.

Authorities found the burned up car the following day, but Whiteside's remains were not discovered until March 10 after Whiteside's ex-wife reported him missing. A forensic team searched the burned-out vehicle and discovered Whiteside's remains, much of which had been burned to ashes.

An autopsy determined that Whiteside had died from smoke inhalation and bodily burns. The head injuries he'd sustained would not have been fatal. He was burned alive.

Valerie Martin was convicted and sentenced to death for the robbery, kidnapping, and murder. Kennedy and Kupsch received life sentences, without the possibility of parole. Brad Zoda, who was 14 years old at the time, testified for the state against Martin, Kennedy, and Kupsch.

11of 20

Michelle Lyn Michaud

Mug Shot / Public Domain

Michelle Michaud and her (then) boyfriend James Daveggio were convicted and given death sentences for kidnapping, sexually torturing, and murdering 22-year-old Vanessa Lei Samson. The couple turned the back of their Dodge Caravan into a torture chamber, outfitting it with hooks and rope designed to restrain their victims.

On December 2, 1997, Vanessa Samson was walking down a Pleasanton, California street when Michaud drove up beside her and Daveggio pulled her into the van. Michaud continued to drive around for hours as Samson, forced to wear a ball gag, was sexually tortured by Daveggio. The couple eventually tied a nylon rope around Samson's neck and each pulled one end, together strangling Samson to death.

According to prosecutors, for three months Michaud and Daveggio drove around "hunting"-a term Michaud used-for young women to kidnap. They sexually assaulted six female victims, including Michaud's young daughter, one of Michaud's friends, and Daveggio's 16-year-old daughter.

During sentencing, Judge Larry Goodman described the torture and murder of Vanessa Samson as being, “vile, cruel, senseless, depraved, brutal, evil, and vicious.”

12of 20

Tanya Jamie Nelson

Mug Shot / Public Domain

Tanya Nelson was 45 years old and the mother of four children when she was sentenced to death in Orange County after being convicted of murdering fortune teller Ha Smith, 52, and her 23-year-old daughter, Anita Vo.

According to court testimony, Nelson's accomplice, Phillipe Zamora, testified that Nelson wanted Smith to die because she felt cheated when Smith predicted that her business would be successful if she moved it to North Carolina.

Nelson, who had been a long-time client of Smith's, followed the fortune teller's advice and moved-but instead of finding success, she wound up losing her home. Nelson was also angry when Smith refused to tell her that she would be reunited with her ex-lover. Nelson convinced Zamora to travel with her from North Carolina to Westminster, California with the purpose of killing Smith in exchange for introducing him to several possible gay sex partners.

On April 21, 2005, Zamora testified that the two of them met with Ha "Jade" Smith and her daughter Anita Vo. Nelson stabbed Vo to death and Zamora stabbed Smith to death. The pair then searched the house for expensive jewelry Smith was known for wearing, credit cards, and other items of value. When they were done, Zamora went to Walmart and purchased white paint which they used to cover their victims' heads and hands.

Nelson was arrested five weeks later after it was discovered that she had an appointment with Smith on the day of the murders and that she had used Smith's and Vo's credit cards. Nelson, who has always maintained her innocence, received a death sentence. Zamora received a sentence of 25 years to life.

13of 20

Sandi Nieves

Mug Shot / Public Domain

On June 30, 1998, Sandi Nieves told her five children that they were going to have a slumber party. Everyone was going to sleep in the kitchen of their Santa Clarita home. Tucked into sleeping bags, the children fell asleep but woke up choking on smoke.

Jaqlene and Kristl Folden, 5 and 7, and Rashel and Nikolet Folden-Nieves, 11 and 12, died of smoke inhalation. David Nieves, who was 14 at the time, was able to escape the house and survived. He later testified that Nieves refused to let the children leave the burning house, telling them to stay in the kitchen. According to the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, Nieves first asphyxiated the children with gas from the oven, then used gasoline to ignite a fire.

Prosecutors believe that Nieves's actions were motivated by revenge against the men in her life. In the weeks leading up to the murders, Nieves's boyfriend had ended their relationship and she and her ex-husband were fighting over child support. Nieves was found guilty of four counts of first-degree murder, attempted murder, and arson. She was sentenced to death.

14of 20

Angelina Rodriguez

Mug Shot / Public Domain

Angelina and Frank Rodriguez met in February 2000 and were married in April of the same year. By September 9, 2000, 41-year-old Frank Rodriguez was dead and Angelina was awaiting $250,000 from his life insurance-but there was a catch. Until a coroner determined Frank's cause of death, the insurance money would not be released.

To help speed up the process, Angelina called an investigator to report that she'd received an anonymous phone call with a tip that her husband had died as a result of antifreeze poisoning. While it was later determined that Angelina never received such a call, she was right: Frank did die as the result of antifreeze poisoning. According to a toxicology report, Frank had ingested massive quantities of green antifreeze four to six hours prior to his death.

Angelina was arrested and charged with murder within weeks of Frank's death. Prosecutors believe that she poured green antifreeze into Frank's green Gatorade and that it was her third attempt to do away with him since she'd taken out the $250,000 life insurance policy on him.

They alleged that first, ​she tried to kill Frank by feeding him highly poisonous oleander plants. Next, she allegedly left the gas cap off the dryer and went away to visit a friend-but Frank discovered the leak. During her trial, ​she was found guilty of witness tampering after she threatened a friend who was scheduled to testify that Angelina had discussed murdering her husband as a solution to her marital and financial problems.

Angelina's history of obtaining money from various lawsuit didn't help her in court. She'd sued a fast-food restaurant for sexual harassment, then Target for negligence after she slipped and fell in a store. In six years, she'd racked up $286,000 in settlements but her biggest payoff was from the Gerber Company. When her daughter choked and died on a pacifier, Angelina collected on a $50,000 life insurance policy she'd taken out on the child.

After her husband's death, an investigation into the death of her 13-month-old baby was reopened. It's now believed that Angelina murdered her child by removing the protective guard from the pacifier and shoving it down her daughter's throat so that she could sue the manufacturer and also claim the life insurance.

Angelina Rodriguez was found guilty of the murder of Frank Rodriguez by means of poisoning with oleander and antifreeze. She was sentenced to death on January 12, 2004, and resentenced on November 1, 2010. On February 20, 2014, the California Supreme Court upheld her death sentence again.

15of 20

Brooke Marie Rottiers

Mug Shot / Public Domain

Brooke Marie Rottiers, 30, of Corona, lured 22-year Marvin Gabriel and 28-year-old Milton Chavez to their deaths. According to court testimony, Gabriel and Chaves met Rottiers (nickname "Crazy") and co-defendant Francine Epps when they went to have a few drinks after work. Rottiers offered to have sex with the two men in exchange for money. She told them to follow her and Epps to her motel room at the National Inn in Corona. Drug dealer Omar Tyree Hutchinson was also living there.

When the two men entered the motel room, Epps held them at gunpoint while Rottier and Hutchinson stripped, robbed, and beat them. The men were then hog-tied with electrical cords. Bras, panties and other items were stuffed into their mouths. Their noses and mouths were covered with tape, and plastic bags were placed over their heads.

Rottiers, Epps, and Hutchinson entertained themselves by doing drugs as their victims suffocated. Once dead, the men's bodies were dumped in the trunk of a car which was left parked on a dirt road.

Brooke Rottiers, the mother of four children, two of whom were allegedly in the motel room during the murders, is believed to have masterminded the crime. She often bragged that she would lure men with the promise of sex for cash, only to rob them instead. She was convicted on June 23, 2010, of two counts of first-degree murder committed during the course of a robbery. She was sentenced to death.

16of 20

Mary Ellen Samuels, a.k.a. 'The Green Widow'

Mug Shot / Public Domain

Mary Ellen Samuels was found guilty of arranging the murders of her husband and of her husband's killer. According to testimony, Samuels hired James Bernstein, 27, to murder her estranged husband, 40-year-old Robert Samuels- who was in the process of divorcing his wife after three years of unsuccessfully trying to reconcile the marriage-for insurance money and for full ownership of a Subway sandwich shop the couple co-owned.

Bernstein was a known drug dealer and one of two fiancés of Samuels' daughter, Nicole. He was allegedly instrumental in hiring the hitman to kill Robert Samuels. Samuels was found at his home in Northridge, California, bludgeoned and shot to death on December 8, 1988.

A month after the murder, Bernstein took out a $25,000 life insurance policy and named Nicole as the only beneficiary. Concerned that Bernstein was going to talk to police, Mary Ellen Samuels arranged to murder Bernstein, who was strangled to death in June 1989 by Paul Edwin Gaul and Darrell Ray Edwards.

Samuels was dubbed the "green widow" by police and prosecutors when it was discovered that within the year of her husband's death and prior to her arrest, she'd spent more than $500,000 that she'd received from his insurance policies and from the sale of the Subway restaurant.

During court proceedings, prosecutors showed jurors a photograph of Samuels taken within months after her husband's death. She was laying on a hotel bed, covered in $20,000 worth of $100 dollar bills.

A jury convicted Mary Ellen Samuels of the first-degree murders of Robert Samuels and James Bernstein, soliciting the murders of Robert Samuels and James Bernstein, and conspiring to murder Robert Samuels and James Bernstein. Gaul and Edwar